Thursday, November 23, 2006

The editor's function

Harriet Sherwood, Foreign Editor of the Guardian, gives the Editors' Weblog a useful perspective on the role of an editor in a multi-media/platform newsroom thus:

"I have considered whether the move to digital journalism makes editors irrelevant – wondering whether it should offer the reporter more autonomy in deciding the appropriate treatment of or platform for a story. However, our correspondents tell me they value interaction with an editor in discussion of a story. And I do feel that the role of an editor in how a story should be approached (eg straight news, reportage, news analysis etc), the content (the top line, balance etc), the most appropriate platform - plus acting as the 'first reader' (does this make sense, is it engaging, is it too long/short) is invaluable. But then I would, wouldn't I?"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home